Details of the Algoritmi Prize
The Algoritmi Prize (the ‘Prize’) is a $1,00,000 prize awarded to research groups and research organisations engaged in research in the fields of artificial intelligence and robotics that can be applied to promote food security.
Who we are and how to contact us
We are the Future Investment Initiative Institute (‘FII-I’), a non-profit entity located at RDC Complex, Building CS01, 4th Floor, Unit 9, 4044 Al Imam Saud Ibn Abdul Aziz Branch Road, Al Nakhil, Riyadh, 12382, Saudi Arabia. To contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have selected Springer Nature Limited (‘Springer Nature’) to be our Partner for the Prize, and in doing so, Springer Nature shall be the ‘Promoter’ of the Prize due to their expertise in assisting researchers in the field of innovation.
By applying for the Algoritmi Prize you accept these terms
We may amend these terms
We may amend these terms and conditions without notification. Please check these terms regularly to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
How to apply for the Algoritmi Prize
In order to apply for the Prize please visit the Algoritmi Prize webpage. Please read these terms and conditions carefully to ensure you meet both the eligibility and application criteria before applying.
Eligibility Criteria for the Algoritmi Prize
To be eligible to apply for the Prize, you must, at the point of point of application:
- be employed by a university, a research institution, or a public agency (including governmental organizations or government-funded organizations) as part of a research group;
- be actively engaged as a researcher in the fields of artificial intelligence or robotics; or
- be actively engaged in developing technologies that can be applied to promote a future of food security.
Application Criteria for the Algoritmi Prize
You must be able to demonstrate that:
- you meet the eligibility criteria;
- your project/initiative will make a significant difference to the addressing food security;
- your project/initiative will benefit a humanity,
- you have fully completed and submitted the Algoritmi Prize application form on behalf of the research group;
- your application is made in the English language;
- your application must be submitted between 12:00am GMT on 30th January 2023 and 11:59pm GMT 8th May 2023.
Details of the Algoritmi Prize
The Algoritmi Prize is not open any time to applications from:
- persons resident in countries or territories that prohibit the promotion of, operation of, or participation in such awards or receiving prizes;
- persons resident in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Burma/Myanmar, the Crimea region of Ukraine or other sanction-sensitive countries or regions as updated from time to time;
- any individual named on Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons lists published by the United States government as updated from time to time;
- directors or employees (or members of their immediate families) of the Promoter;
- any current members of the judging panel or ambassadors (or members of their immediate families);
- previous winners of the Prize;
- for-profit organizations.
The Algoritmi Prize application process
- Ensure you meet the Eligibility and Application Criteria for the Algoritmi Prize before submitting your application.
- Complete the application form.
- Make sure you submit your application before the closing date.
- After the closing date, applications will be passed to our judging panel who will independently consider applications to the Prize.
Judges and judgment process
- An expert panel convened by the Promoter will review all applications. The panel will exclude applications deemed ineligible.
- The panel will select a shortlist of outstanding applications. Each shortlisted application will be featured on the Prize website.
- The shortlisted applicants will be notified on or before the end of July 2023 and shall be announced in September 2023.
- The Promoter can decide which applications are shortlisted, acting in its sole and absolute discretion, and shall be empowered to reduce the number of shortlisted applicants in the event that:
- there are insufficient applications.
- the applications are not suitable; or
- the applications are of an unsatisfactory standard.
- The winner will be announced in October 2023.
- The winner will be required to confirm acceptance of the Prize within 14 calendar days from notification
- If the winner is not able to take up the Award for any reason within 14 days of being notified, we may at our sole and absolute discretion decide whether to make the Award to an alternative winner and the original grantee will not then be eligible to take up the Award.
- The winner agrees it shall complete and return an eligibility form.
- The judges’ decision is final, and the Promoter shall not be obliged to discuss its decision with any of the applicants.
- The judging panel, making up 100% of the votes, will choose a winner from the shortlisted applications.
- The judging panel will consist of a chief judge and individuals including independent experts.
- The chief judge shall have the final casting vote in the event of a tie,
- Any decision made by the judging panel will be final and binding on all applicants.
- The Promoter actively encourages submissions from countries in the United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Country Classification System.
- A number of weighting points will be added to such submissions, based on the country of origin’s position in the classification.
- Fundamental excellence and achievement remain the overriding consideration of the judges, but the weighting points will be used to ensure that these are viewed in the context of the entrant’s access to opportunity and resources.
One winning application will receive a grant of US$1,000,000 to accelerate the development and application of the technology to promote food security.
The winning applicant will be required to formally accept the prize via email within 14 calendar days, and may be required to provide confirmation of eligibility. If a winner does not accept the prize within 14 calendar days of being notified, they may forfeit the prize and the Promoter reserves the right to choose another winner.
The winners’ institution will be required to sign a funding agreement and to provide their bank details. Payment will be made in one installment by bank transfer.
The winners are fully responsible for any tax that may be liable on the award.
Prize money must be spent within three years of receipt. A brief report will be required after three years detailing how the funds were used. You may also be required to give a short presentation to representatives of the sponsor.
One representative from each shortlisted application will be expected to participate in person in an expenses paid symposium on AI and robotics for food security that will take place at the FII 7th edition in Riyadh, 24–26 October 2023. The prize will reimburse economy class flights and up to three nights accommodation.
In submitting an application for the Prize, you agree to provide quotes and/or photographs and/or videos for the Prize, and grant the FII-I and the Promoter to use such materials in any promotional material.
Applicants further agree to participate in interviews and contribute content after the Prize results have been announced, at the request of the Promoter.
All shortlisted applicants must answer profile questions and provide a headshot photograph (JPEG, 150x150 pixels) to the Promoter as part of their application. The profile and questions will be used by the Promoter on the Prize website. The name, region of residence, profile and likeness of the winner and shortlisted applicants may be used by the Promoter for Prize and event publicity in any form including on the Promoter’s website and social media pages at no cost to the Promoter.
Each shortlisted applicant shall keep the status and the listing for the Prize completely confidential until after the public announcement of the shortlist by the Promoter. The winner agrees to keep the results of the Prize completely confidential until after the public announcement of the winner by the Promoter.
We may publish the results of the Prize including your personal details and photographs. Copyright in the content of your application will pass to us as soon as submitted. We shall have an exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide licence to publication; and a non-exclusive licence to publish, syndicate, distribute, reproduce, and exploit the material in all present and future media and formats and to sub-license these rights to others.
Other than for death or personal injury arising from our negligence or that of the Promoter, so far as is permitted by law, we hereby, and the Promoter hereby, excludes all liability for any loss, damage, costs, and expenses, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the Prize. All activities are undertaken at the applicant’s own risk.
The decision of the judging panel shall be final and unchallengeable and, acting in our sole and absolute discretion, we may declare void any application or withdraw the Prize should we consider that there are no entries reaching the required standard. We shall have the right, acting in our sole and absolute discretion, to change the rules of the Prize at any time, including extending the closing date. No correspondence will be entered into, or comment issued on any matters concerning the Award, nor are we required to give any reasons for any decision made. We do not guarantee the success of any application, and we may suspend or withdraw any offer for any reason.
We may ask applicants to supply further information.
You are responsible for ensuring that you meet the terms and conditions contained herein when making your application for the Algoritmi Prize. We accept no responsibility for lost, corrupted, delayed or mislaid entries.
Our trademarks are registered
We do not authorise you to use any of our registered trademarks and you are not permitted to use them without our prior written approval.
Third party rights
A person who is not a party to these terms and conditions may not enforce any of its terms.
Which country’s laws apply to any disputes?
The validity, construction and performance of these terms and conditions and all contractual and non-contractual matters arising out of them, shall be governed by the Laws of Saudi Arabia and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Saudi Arabia, to which you and we submit.