Sustainable investments that positively impact humanity must drive global recovery, say experts during FII Institute’s second virtual event Experts discussed the role of sustainability in recovery from global socio-economic and healthcare crises during an event hosted by the institute behind the annual Future Investment Initiative Among the expert speakers were the Saudi Minister of Energy and French Secretary of State, attached to the Minister for the Ecological and Solidary Transition The event was the second in a series of virtual events from the Future Investment Initiative Institute, ahead of October’s FII 2020 conference
June 26,2020, Riyadh – The Future Investment Initiative Institute (FII-I) hosted on Thursday the second virtual event of its FII-I series under the theme “Don’t Forget Our Planet!”, which can be viewed here.
• The new not-for-profit global foundation which powers the annual FII conference held in Saudi Arabia brought together an influential group of decision makers, financial leaders and innovators to outline the key elements of a green global recovery plan in line with the Paris Agreement and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). More than 10,000 registrants from more than 100 countries, viewed the event live from around the world.
• Opening the virtual conference, H.E. Yasir Al-Rumayyan, Governor of the Public Investment Fund and Chairman of the FII Institute said it was a “truly inspiring event bringing the world’s foremost thought leaders together,” explaining that “collaboration between the public and private sectors is essential in driving a sustainable recovery plan.”
• H.E. Brune Poirson, Secretary of State, attached to the Minister of Ecological and Solidary Transition, France, described the current crisis situation as “closer to where we were in 1945 than what happened in 2008 or in the 1970s.” She added, “The closest comparison to what I think we need is a green Marshall Plan. I think we need a Marshall Plan of the 21st century.”
• Commenting on the future of the energy sector, H.R.H Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman Al-Saud, Minister of Energy, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, said of his government: “We are trying to lead by example. We have a serious efficiency program. In 2030, 50% of our electricity will come from renewables.”
• The importance of preserving and respecting nature was reiterated by Mukesh Ambani, Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries Limited, India, when he said: “I believe that Mother Nature is the best technology that no human can replicate. She teaches us how to recycle.”
• The failure to do so has contributed to the ongoing pandemic said Dr. Jane Goodall, PhD, DBE, Founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace, United Kingdom: “[Scientists] have been predicting a pandemic like this for so long now. It’s because of our disrespect for the environment and animals that this has come about.”
• Richard Attias, Chief Executive Officer of FII Institute commented: “The current crisis has made clear both the risks and the costs of neglecting our natural environment and our planet. The message that we want to deliver today is don’t forget our planet!”
•Keynote speakers during the virtual event included:
• H.R.H Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman Al-Saud, Minister of Energy, Kingdom of Saudi Arabi
H.E. Yasir Al-Rumayyan, Governor of the Public Investment Fund and Chairman of the FII Institute, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
H.E. Brune Poirson, Secretary of State, attached to the Minister of Ecological and Solidary Transition, France
H.E. Jacques Attali, Economist, Author and President of Positive Planet, France
Mr Mukesh Ambani, Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries Limited, India
Dr. Anousheh Ansari, CEO of the XPRIZE Foundation, USA
Ms. Barbara Belvisi, Founder and CEO of Interstellar Lab, France
Mr. Jay Collins, Vice Chairman, Banking, Capital Markets and Advisory, of Citi, USA
Dr. Jane Goodall, PhD, DBE, Founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace, United Kingdom
Ms. Marianne Haahr, Executive Director of the Green Digital Finance Alliance, Denmark
Dr. Mario Molina, 1995 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry and President of the Mario Molina Centre, Mexico
Dr. Bertrand Piccard, Chairman of the Solar Impulse Foundation, Switzerland
Mr. Patrick Pouyanné, Chairman and Chief Executive of Total SA, France
Lord Adair Turner, Chairman of the Energy Transitions Commission and Senior Fellow at the Institute for New Economic Thinking, United Kingdom
• The FII-I virtual event series is one of many milestones on the Institute’s roadmap to its flagship annual conference in Riyadh on October 28-29, 2020, and beyond. FII-I recently also launched its new Impact report series which curates the world’s brightest ideas that can impact humanity sustainably. The inaugural Impact report entitled “Winning the Battle of Disease Together” can be accessed online here. The first virtual event, “Beyond the Crisis: Technology to the Rescue,” which took place in April, can be viewed here.
•“Don’t Forget Our Planet!” can be viewed here.